Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I'm Just Keepin' It Real


I believe about 75% of what I read on the internet. I should believe less than that, but I can be kind of naïve. I want any internet skeptics to believe my blog. That is why I am coming to you with the realness. This has been a hard week for me. I really didn’t think being a vegetarian would be this hard. First are the physical side effects. My face is pretty much looking like a pizza right now. I assume it’s my body releasing toxins that are in my body from meat. And speaking of toxins, I have been releasing them from other places as well. I have had everything from gas to bloating and diarrhea.  I have been walking in utter embarrassment all week.
 Yesterday was the final straw. I have had a pretty good eating plan while at work. I had breakfast, lunch and dinner and a few small snacks. Everything has been perfect. Until my day off.  I’m used to running my errands and then coming home and making a nice dinner or splurging and ordering out. Yesterday I was at home all day in the midst of post-Labor Day Bar-B-Que. I didn’t crack and binge on pork steaks but I was very unhappy all day. I did have my bestie bring me some Doritos and snacked on them. For the most part, I have stayed healthy. But I walked around all day, feeling like something was missing. It’s not snacks or sweets. It’s meat. I really did not think I would miss meat this much. I don’t know why I didn’t see this coming. I eat meat in every meal. Why did I think I wouldn’t miss it?
I have also been having trouble trying to figure out how to get protein from a vegetarian diet. I defiantly don’t want to be protein deficiant. Did you know lack of protein can cause hair loss? I am not trying to go bald. I did lots of research and I found out that I can get lots of protein from whole grains and beans. That’s no problem I know lots of recipes with both of those. In fact I ate a really yummy dish called with black bean and brown rice with a southwest flavor. And yet I still miss meat.
I’m not ready to give up. Heck, it’s just been a week. I have more willpower than that. But I have decided to modify my plan. I am going to include fish and some seafood into my diet. This diet modification is called pescatarianism.  Now this does not mean that I will be eating fried catfish and macaroni and cheese every Friday. I’m still going to be healthy. And hopefully I will be able to leave fish behind and become a full fledge vegetarian. Until then, this is what’s going to keep me sane. Jenny still don’t eat no meat. She will however enjoy fish. J
If you want to learn more about pecatarianism here is a website I found. Also a link to a you tube video of a woman who chose to go pescatarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment